4.06.2014

MY FAVORITE CONCEPT FROM CONFERENCE

I learned an exuberant amount from General Conference this year. It was the first year that I stayed home and watched the Saturday and Sunday sessions alone in peace and quite. I'll admit I enjoy the company but I got much more out of it this way. I could go on and on about the things I loved and the incredible talks given but I want to share my thoughts on one simple concept presented by Sister Jean A. Stevens. 

LDS conference
Photo cred: Yours truly. Aren't my tulips gorgeous?


"The gospel is not weight; it is wings." -Sister Stevens

Many people inside and outside the church think the commandments and teachings are so called "weight" when in reality we have those things to help us reach our full potential. Every commandment put in place is there to benefit us. 

We as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints don't smoke or drink. Why? Because it's a commandment from God and it's not healthyAT ALL! Prove to me how putting smoke in your lungs or altering your mind with alcohol is healthy for you, oh wait.. you can't. 

We don't have sexual relationships before marriage. Why? Because it's until marriage that one makes special covenants with our Heavenly Father and we are then ready to be fully committed to one another. Abstinence protects us emotionally from harmful relationships and feelings one may have before marriage as well. 

We believe marriage is between a man an a woman. Why? Because only between a man and a woman can children be created. And with children comes the family, the most sacred and special unit of our gospel. 

There are many other commandments that we as members of the church follow. God's commandments are a part of our road map in life. They aren't strict rules but guidelines to benefit us. The gospel is to help us fly, not hold us down. 

We as members of the church, and even those are aren't, should realize the gospel isn't something that we are forced to do or that we carry on our shoulders as a burden. We embrace the opportunity to have wings and reach our potential. We do these things because we are striving to become better people.  

Another way the gospel gives us wings is by understanding the atonement and repentance. Having the chance to wipe away our sins and be forgiven from all our wrongdoings doesn't seem like weight to me. It's the furthest thing actually. Having the chance to live guilt-free lives and know if we mess up we can fix it is the purest form of wings. 

Finally, a personal way I receive wings from the gospel is through praying and feeling the spirit. By praying, I am able to receive personal revelation through the Holy Ghost. My revelation is a thought that comes to mind while I'm praying or throughout the day. It helps me make the right decisions as well as serve those around me. 

I hope you will find the ways the gospel gives you wings in your own life. It's a beautiful concept and I hope one day everyone will understand. 

No comments :

Post a Comment