3.23.2014

4 SIMPLE IDEAS TO STRENGTHEN YOUR SUNDAY

Every week when Sunday rolls around I want to detach myself from the world and focus on what's really important. It's always been a constant struggle for me to do this when there is so much going on in my busy life, but I'm slowly learning how to manage. It gets easier as time goes on because the feeling that comes with reverence is a feeling I never want to loose. I used to think the spirit was only felt strongly when in church or reading the scriptures, but oh how I was wrong. I love to bring the spirit on Sundays by doing these things.

  • The first thing I do every Sunday when I wake up is change my Pandora to The Mormon Tabernacle Choir station. I wake up to wonderful soft music and listen to it while I shower and get ready. It brings a sense of serenity and peace to my home. 
  • I'm a firm believer that cleanliness is next to godliness. When I wake up on Sunday morning I make sure to open my blinds to let the sunshine in and before I do anything else, I make my bed. I love having a put together bedroom because it helps me gather my thoughts and focus throughout the day. By tidying up your bedroom and living spaces, it helps to clear your head of those overwhelming thoughts in the back of your mind throughout the day telling your bedroom is a mess.
  • Now that it's finally Spring and warming up, I've been sitting on my front porch and reading. I bring a blanket outside with me and sit on my porch steps. I think reading is a great way to separate oneself from the world and keep the spirit. I have been reading a fiction book when I find time but I'm also focusing on The Book of Mormon. On a Sunday before or after church would be a great time to go outside and read the scriptures. It sets a tone for the day and a little spring sunshine never hurt anyone. 
  • I have a leather journal that sits beside my bed collecting dust six days a week.  I can't seem to make time to journal throughout the week, I just don't make it a priority. Putting aside time on Sunday to write my thoughts and feelings is a great way for me to evaluate my life and collect my thoughts. By journaling I can often see where my life is headed and what's missing or how my focus needs to be realigned. I don't like to blog about my deepest personal feelings which makes my tangible journal that much more special. It's for me and only me. 

There are so many ways to strengthen our Sundays.. and these are just a few that I've found work for me.  I also think Sunday is a great day for cooking or baking treats to share with friends and neighbors, writing letters to missionaries or loved ones and of course, the notorious Sunday nap. 

I apologize for not having pictures in this post.... Find it in your hearts to forgive me. 

What are some other ways you strengthen your Sunday? I'd love thoughts and suggestions! 

1 comment :