12.09.2013

FOLLOWING YOUR DREAMS



While on the bus today, on my way to take my first final, I met someone who inspired me. It takes approximately 4 minutes from where I get on to reach campus where I get off. Let's add an extra minute today for snow and say I was with him for 5 minutes.

Here's the story.

The Route 1 bus rolled up to a halt and dozens of people began crowding toward the entrance. I patiently waited knowing I would get my usual seat at the very front. People don't like sitting toward the front of the bus, some will even stand to avoid it. I take full advantage of this everyday and I always get a seat. 

I sat down and waited for the bus to fill. An older gentleman with a briefcase and a long white beard climbed aboard among the students and I smiled at him. He took the empty seat next to me. Finally! Someone who's not afraid to sit at the front of the bus. He wore a black beanie, glasses and his snowy white beard still held food remnants from breakfast. 

"Does your beard keep you warm?" I asked.

"Eh.... kind of." He shyly replied. 

I pulled the headphones out of my ears to be polite. He asked me if I had any finals today. I said yes. He then proceeded to ask which ones. I told him.  Being unsure of his scholarly state, I decided to say the words, "and you?" That's when I learned he was an advanced calculus professor to seniors and students in the masters program. "I am giving one today," he said almost as if he was glad he was on the other side.

What I said next was probably not the best but it just came out!! "I'd rather die than take that test!!" Ooopps.. good thing he laughed. To cover my tracks I asked him if he's always been or always wanted to be an advanced math professor. He sighed and said, "I sure have. I knew the second day I was in calculus that I wanted to teach it and I've been teaching for almost 40 years." 

He was saying it in a way that was almost shameful. Like he was embarrassed that his dream was to teach math. But I was impressed. "Wow! You followed your dreams!! Not many people actually get that far! That's something to be proud of." I told him. 

He rambled about the final he was going to give and for some reason he said the word out. With a slight Canadian accent. Was it a Canadian accent I asked myself? 

"Are you from Canada?" I asked.

 Chuckling he said, "You're good! Yes. I sure am! But I've been here for 40 years!" 

"What part?" I was eager to know.. 

"Montreal." 

WOW! My best friend Alli is on her mission there! I know strangers don't really care about that sort of stuff but I told him anyway. We talked about Canada for a minute and then I asked him where else he has taught.

After mentioning literally half the universities in the US, I concluded that he's had quite the experiences as a math guru. He even mentioned his children at some point leading to the conclusion that he has a family. 

Now, although half of my story is completely irrelevant, I want to focus on one part in particular. I am inspired by this man because he followed his dreams and made something of himself! He has a family, he's travelled and experienced a country outside of his own and he has so much knowledge! I have many young dreams and ambitions as a college students and I only hope I get half way there. 

Thank you man on the bus who I'll probably never see again. Although I didn't even catch your name, you inspired me. I will follow my college dreams just like you did. 

4 comments :

  1. Wow. Mads. You don't know how badly I needed to hear that today. Thank you best friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great inspirational story! Thanks for the push!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice for all of us, thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. Pa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Follow them all the way to me in New York!!!!!

    ReplyDelete