1.28.2014

The Comeback of the One Piece

I noticed swimwear has been quite the topic of conversation lately and I'd love to share some thoughts. 
Over time we have seen swimwear develop and evolve into what it is today. We've gone from high waist bottoms to high hip legs, thin straps and now bikinis of every size and shape. 

First, I would like to share a story with you about when I was in high school.

All growing up I was raised with the values to wear modest swimwear. Modest to me meant tankinis or one pieces. But we all know that the majority of people wear bikinis and of course in high school, one pieces weren't/aren't cool. They were for prudes and little girls. No one was caught dead wearing one. So that left me with tankinis as my only option. I recall always feeling a little bit embarrassed because I was always covered up and many of my friends wore bikinis and got more attention from boys. (Remember this is high school and that stuff mattered back then.) Being a girl, usually we are more self conscious about what other girls think rather than boys. But with swimwear, it was the other way around. I know this because of the questions I'd frequently get asked and the comments that were usually made by boys before they knew I wore modest swimwear.

"If you ever go to the beach, not one girl wears a tankini."

"I hope you girls aren't the type of girls that don't wear bikinis."

"Tankinis and one pieces are so ugly."

Of course people don't say these things with the intent to be rude. Many of them didn't think I wore that type of swimwear but it caught my attention. Especially the beach comment. I started noticing every time I went to the beach that I was the only young person wearing a covering suit. I always felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb, and really, I did. I became more aware of swimwear as I grew older. It also became harder and harder to find tankinis. They started to look very childish or too mature for my body type. I decided to look into one pieces a few years ago and hope I'd have better luck. I bought my first one, since I was a child, my freshman year of college and I loved it. I wore it everywhere-- where swimwear is appropriate of course. After high school, I didn't mind the attention and looks I got from wearing my one piece. I liked it. I started shopping around to find more and it was really difficult. I didn't want to wear something that looked like an old lady but I didn't want to wear something completely skimpy. Eventually I found another one I liked and I got more and more compliments and questions asking where I'd gotten my suits.

All that happened a few years back. Shortly after that time I got a job in my college town at a swim shop. I became an expert in all types of swimwear and slowly saw the trends changing. It went from the majority of the catalogues filled with bikinis to slowly a one piece popping up here and there. The store started ordering more and more trendy one pieces and they started flying off the racks. I bought a few from the store and wore them on trips or hot tubbing with tons of other college students. So many girls (who could definitely pull off a bikini) started asking where I got my suits and where they could get a one piece. A few friends even frequently borrowed my one pieces. I even started noticing younger women at the beaches were wearing one pieces. One pieces are coming back. Last week in Huntington Beach I wore my very favorite Perry Ellis one shoulder polka dot swimsuit and multiple women commented in person and on the pictures I posted. (Don't mind my crazy huge bun in that pic below.)

Paddle boarding around Newport Harbor
My personal opinion is happy to see the return of the one piece. I also truly think one pieces tend to be more flattering and sexy on most women. To me, they show confidence because they stand out and go against the norm.

4 comments :

  1. Alright Alright. Here comes my rant. But I'll try to make it short. Umm THANK YOU for posting this. First of all, you are beautiful. And you are a hottie with a body. Seriously. Second, I really appreciate you. In high school, I felt the very same way. It was hard for me to wear one pieces when I was the ONLY one. Because like you said, it mattered. Then, I went hot tubbing with you and YOU WERE WEARING A FREAKIN TANKINI. I was so excited about it because you clearly had the same values and beliefs as I did. Now, hallelujah, one pieces are definitely making a comeback. We were texting the other day, and I'd almost prefer one pieces over tankinis, now. I bought 2 or 3 for my trip to Hawaii in a couple of weeks. I like them. And I freakin LOVE you for posting this. Again, thanks a million. Miss your beautiful face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! I need a new one piece for the summer, I've realized they are really so much more comfortable! I'll be coming to poco loco soon! Glad to hear there are more coming around!

    ReplyDelete