2.25.2014

Why You Should Grow Your Own Herbs

I have a deep rooted passion for plants and gardens of all kinds -- see what I did there? Deep rooted? Okay.. well anyways, I wanted something I could have indoors through the cold months, so last fall I planted a variety of herbs. I planted Basil, Cilantro and Chives. After struggling to get them healthy and growing, they are finally producing enough leaves to cook with! I LOVE IT! They're not only delicious but it's actually rewarding to watch them grow. 

I had to take pictures of my first clippings! Look at those beauties!!

Cooking with Herbs

Another reason I have an herb garden is to add some green to my kitchen. I keep them near the window in separate pots and water them every few days. My chives don't seem to need a lot of water yet they grow like crazy!

TIP: If you're growing Cilantro, be patient. The first time it sprouted, they never made it far. A few weeks later, another round sprouted up and they are now thriving. They took longer than the Basil and Chives but now are producing rapidly.

Speaking of Chives, they're a great herb to grow if you're just starting. They don't need much attention and they will continue to grow and grow and grow. I've now trimmed mine twice and they have kept growing healthy.

Cooking with Basil

TIP: I personally find Basil harder to grow than other herbs I've had. I am still perfecting its routine to get it to produce continuously. I'm not even sure it's possible. 

My next herb adventure is Lemon Balm and Mint. I have seeds planted and am hoping to see sprouts in the next few weeks. They say Mint is a great herb to start that will continue producing with minimal effort. I guess we'll see. 

No comments :

Post a Comment